What are the Risks of Circumcision?
- Bleeding – in 1 in 500 circumcision there may be some bleeding that is usually stopped with pressure or less commonly with stitches. If a bleeding disorder such as hemophilia, then our doctors will need advice from a pediatric hematologist prior to proceeding.
- Infection – there is always a possibility that there could be a generalized infection requiring antibiotics after the surgery (1/4000). Serious infections are rare (1/5000).
- Concealed penis – when there is a good amount of fat around the penis (pubic fat), the penis may retract inward and increase the chances the penis gets partially buried and requiring medical intervention (1/800).
- Meatal stenosis – this is a narrowing of the urethra that may occur after the procedure requiring medical intervention (1/1000).
- Phimosis – this is a narrowing of the shaft skin opening over the head of the penis requiring medical intervention (1/500)
- Trauma resulting in permanent damage to the head of the penis (never in our practice)
- Suboptimal cosmetic result (1/500)
- More serious complications including death (never in our practice).
The Pollock Method of Baby Circumcision – How we do it.
The Pollock Technique™ is known for its quickness (less than a minute) and safety. Dr. Pollock has considered even the smallest details, including increasing room temperature and playing soothing music.
Pollock Clinics is one of the most experienced circumcision clinics in North America (over 40,000 circumcisions safely performed), with low complication rates.
To keep your son comfortable both during and after the procedure, our doctors will use several pain control methods including Tylenol, sugar filled gauze pacifiers soaked with sweet juice for additional comfort, and a topical freezing cream.
We employ a local anesthetic technique that is a combination of both short and long acting anesthetics. This method provides comfort and coverage for both the procedure and for several hours after.
All this ensures that your son will feel little or no pain.
For your peace of mind, our doctors are available 24 hours a day after the procedure. All clients are given the doctor’s contact information so that if any concerns should arise they can reach the doctor directly.